Loads of work are now handled not with a single screen but dual screen setups. In this guide we have compiled ten best portable monitor for laptop to share the burden, consequently bringing the boost in productivity as well as enhances the level of entertainment for non productive works. Additionally, these dual screens for laptops are workable with any operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome etc. most of these monitors are feasible with game consoles, smartphones, projectors, cameras as well.
List of the best portable monitors for laptop 2021 (Best deals of the year)
- Uperfect 4K touchscreen – Best portable touchscreen monitor
- Asus Rog Strix XG17AHPE – Best portable gaming monitor
- XP-Pen Innovator 16 – Best drawing monitor
- Eviciv – Best portable monitor with keyboard touchpad
- Duex Pro – Best portable monitor for office use
- SideTrak – Best attachable portable monitor
- Cocopar – Best portable monitor for Xbox, PS4 & Nintendo Switch
- Deco Gear – Best portable travel monitor for laptop
- Uperfect – Best portable external monitor with HDR
- Corprit – Best wireless portable monitor for laptop
Best Portable Monitors for laptop 2021 Reviews
1. Uperfect 4K monitor – Best portable monitor with touchscreen
15.6 inches UHD touchscreen IPS display | 3840×2160 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x2, Mini HDMI x1, Micro USB OTG, Audio input/output
- Finest and precise touchscreen
- Support OTG
- Dual stereo speakers
- Gravity sensor automatic rotation
- Touch feature is not available for game consoles and Mac or above Mojave
- Lacks VESA mounting
Uperfect 15.6 inch 4k portable monitor with touchscreen is a great dual screen for your laptop, Mac, Chromebook, PC, iOS & Android smartphones and game consoles. With only 5mm (0.2 inch) width, it is a slim portable monitor and weighs only 2.05lbs, perfect to carry in a backpack. It has 300cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 72% NTSC & 100% sRGB color gamut along with 178 degrees view angle. Further, Uperfect portable screen for laptop contains auto rotation feature associated with the gravity sensors, which are able to rotable 360 degrees following the host device by itself.
It supports landscape and portrait mode nicely, good enough to deal with multitasking on the go. There are blue light filters and flicker free technology as well, in order to push the user for hours of viewing without eye strain. With dual USB Type C, this USB portable monitor supports a number of devices with just plug and play ease without any drivers though. Talking about its ease of use, there are two stereo speakers on either side loud enough that cuts the need for any external speakers. Most importantly, this portable monitor supports OTG features, ensuring even if you don’t have a laptop or PC around, this dual screen can be the one for you anytime.
2. Asus Rog Strix XG17AHPE – Best portable monitor for gaming
17.3 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 240Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x1, Mini HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- 7800mah built-in battery with Quick Charge 3.0
- Fast gaming with impressive frame rate
- Came with smart cover; prevents from dust and scratches
- Supports Adaptive Sync
- No VESA mounting
- Speakers are not loud enough
Asus gaming monitors have always been a sweet spot for gamers, though, this model named Asus Rog Strix XG17AHPE has proved one of the best portable gaming monitors. The most attractive feature is its 17.3 inch size on an IPS panel and its 240Hz high refresh rate. Other cool features include Adaptive Sync Technology, through which tear free gaming is possible no matter which graphic card is installed in your system, its outstanding synchronization helps to achieve targets easily in FPS and RTS games. It has Low Compensation frame rates and has flicker free technology as well. With 100% sRGB, this portable monitor has 1000:1 contrast ratio and 300cd/m2 brightness.
Further there it has a smart cover with kickstand property and this helps to prevent the screen from dust particles and from being scratched too. The 7800mah built-in battery provides up to 3 hours of nonstop play time and has Quick Charge feature as well; one hour of charge gives 60% battery life. It supports portrait and landscape mode, nice for streaming, reading and also good for presentations. It has 2.3lbs. weight and has 0.4 inch slim profile, which is very much acceptable for this size of screen to carry around. The USB Type C supports video and power together, then there is mini HDMI, altogether supporting a wide variety of compatibility including game consoles, PC, laptops and smartphones. Despite all, it is an expensive one among many of the best portable monitors today.
3. XP-Pen Innovator 16 – Best portable monitor for drawing, animation, sketching & designing
15.6 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 16.4ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Exclusively for drawing, 3D modeling etc
- Comes with PA5 stylus (pen)
- Separate portable stand
- Supports all the digital softwares
- Only having one HDMI port
- Nor for PC gaming neither supports game consoles
- Drivers required
- Macbook users need to purchase adaptor too
- No built-in speakers
Call it a digital graphic tablet or a second screen for your laptop, who cares, I guess no one. XP-Pen innovator 16 is solely designed for drawing and related niches, we don’t really want it to be called a tablet though, because it does require a laptop or PC connection to work, that is how it is one of the best portable monitors for laptops. It requires drivers software before it starts working properly with the system. This portable monitor aka pen display tablet is very much sufficient for animating or editing work as it bears 125% sRGB, 92% Adobe RGB and 88% NTSC color gamut. It has 1200:1 contrast ratio and 250cd/m2 brightness level.
With a dedication for real time drawing, sketching or designing, this is so better for animators and professional artists. Helps to dive into the creative world irrespective of the environment you are having. It comes with a battery free stylus, used only for drawing no touch feature available though, it has eight different pointing nibs and has a pen holder in the package. It is compatible with Windows 7/8/10 and Mac OS or more than this, Moreover it works great with editing tools and software like, Illustrator, Adobe PhotoShop, Blender and much more. Besides it does not support game consoles, PC gaming and are less likely for watching movies or streaming as well, although it does act as a second screen for your laptop and has extended mode too. Talking about its appearance, there are eight shortcut keys and having a wheel to call the action instantly from the canvas. It is a bit heavy with 7lbs weight comparatively to other portable monitors.
Also Read: Best Gaming Monitor for Xbox one and one S
4. Eviciv – Best dual screen for laptop with keyboard
15.6 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 16.4ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Touchscreen, touchpad & keyboard
- Built-in battery allows on the go tasks
- Dual speakers
- It can be your notebook, laptop, tablet or just a second screen
- Not found any
With new concept and new innovation to introduce, Eviciv has brought in the idea of a portable monitor with full size keyboard that looks so much like a laptop, but it is not a laptop we must tell you. It needs a laptop, PC or a Phone connection to work fully. It is the most inventive product at this time which has spread all over the market like no one before, therefore we have bought and tested and are glad to tell you that this piece is definitely worth buying. With a double lid physic just like a laptop, it weighs only 2.7lbs which is indeed amazing. It is built on a 13.3 inch IPS panel, having 1080p resolution, 72% NTSC & 100% sRGB color gamut, 800:1 contrast ratio and 300cd/m2 brightness. Supports adaptive sync and has flicker free technology along with blue light filters.
As mentioned before, it is a portable monitor with keyboard, it also has a touchpad and is featured with a touchscreen as well. So there is an absolute chance of faking a laptop with this second screen for laptop. It has a Type C, Mini HD interface and even has an SD card slot for local storage to view your photos, videos and documents if you don’t want it to connect with any host device. If you intend to use it with your smartphone instead, then with DP function you are all set. Not only this, Eviciv portable monitor is also compatible with game consoles, for instance, Xbox, PS4, Nintendo, Raspberry Pi etc.In addition to its features, it has 360 degree rotating hinges through which the keyboard is flipped back and acts like a stand for the screen. Overall, it is a great investment as an extended screen for our phones, laptops and PCs.
5. Duex Pro – Best sliding monitor
12.5 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 25ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C/ USB A x1, Audio input/output
- Good for presentations and office use
- Supports dual to triple screen setup
- Clean and mess free setup
- Thin and lightweight
- Not for gaming
- Extremely low response time
- No speakers
- Drivers required
- Dull colors
If you are seriously looking for a second screen for your laptop and you really have decided to not to use it with any other device other than this, then Duex Pro is the most suitable pick for you. It is purely made for laptop or even PC, however, it can be connected with any other device with USB C or USB A, but due to its terrible response time and lagging, it does not fit well with gaming scenarios. It is a 12.5 inch portable monitor, suitable for a laptop of 13 to 14 inches, though if you have a 15 to 17 inch laptop, then 14 inch Trio Max can be a better choice. Back to the Duex Pro, it is a great way to save space on your table. It can attach to your laptop with magnetic adhesives, the screen then can slide and rotate 270 degrees towards the back of your laptop screen in order to present your efforts to your colleagues.
It supports portrait and landscape mode as well, which is pretty helpful to conduct tasks like reading, analyzing trade charts, demonstrating and multitasking. Duex Pro portable monitor is too good for business attendees, office users and is very much eligible for remote working. Its 300cd/m2 brightness level allows the user to use this dual screen for laptop in daylight outside a coffee shop or in a public place. It is anti glare supportive and the brightness is adjustable. Due to the fact that this extended screen has to attach to your laptop screen if not to use separately, it is 1.6lbs light in weight and is 0.48 inch slim, thus your laptop is all secured and will remain under the weight to carry with ease. Moving towards compatibility, it can work with Windows, Mac, Chroombook, Linux, or any of the laptop as long as it has USB Type C or Type A.
Also see: Best Monitor for photo and video editing
6. SideTrak – Best portable monitor for Macbook
12.5 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 30ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C thunderbolt x1, USB A x1, Mini HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Free standing mode via kickstand
- All models of Macbook are compatible
- Light and thin profile
- Great way to accelerate productivity
- Lacks speakers
- Sluggish response time
- Unlike to use for PC gaming
SideTrak external monitor is a bit similar to Duex Pro but is giving the scope for gaming as well. Precisely said, this dual screen allows game consoles as well unlike the Duex Pro which is purely made for laptops. SideTrak portable monitor is an attachable sliding screen with durable magnetic adhesives next to your laptop screen, can be used with kickstand and let this be used in landscape and portrait mode as well. Even while remaining on the hinges, this dual screen swivel or tilt to the extent where the user can very easily share this screen mirroring the laptop screen. A great way to boost the productivity level. Whereas, no need to worry about the screen of your laptop, since this portable monitor is only 0.37 inch thin and weighs 1.25lbs.
Furthermore, SideTrak swivel portable monitor contains 300cd/m2 brightness level which is adjustable but has 600:1 low contrast ratio. The best part is it has one USB Type C with Thunderbolt, that allows quick transfer of data, one USB Type A and an HDMI port. It is compatible with a wide variety of devices due to its range of ports, like Windows, Chromebook, linux, smartphones and is workable with every Macbook model till now. Moreover, the game consoles like Xbox One, S/X, Ps4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Nintendo Switch, Raspberry Pi. consequently, this external screen is indeed a very suitable pick for a flexible mode of working, it allows the user to execute the task in an innovative way which not only enhances the outcome but is exciting yet interesting to do work on it.
7. Cocopar – Best portable monitor for console gaming
17.3 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x2, Mini HDMI x1, OTG port, Audio input/output
- Good for console gaming
- Dual speakers
- VESA compatible
- Compatible with Samsung Dex
- Adaptors required for most of the Android and iPhones
This is a great external monitor for your laptop with pretty good features and has really impressed with its performance both for laptop and PC. However, testing with consoles turned out to be super exciting and alluring as well. That’s how we enrolled this dual screen as a perfect companion for console gaming other than being perfect for laptops. Unfortunately, this model by Cocopar is less suitable to buy if you intend to use it with your smartphone, as there is HDTV cable or adaptors required in most of the cases, although if you are ok to carry these extra items along with the screen then there is no other obstacle remains. Moving towards its specifications, it is a 17.3 inch wide display screen with HDR10, it has 300cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio and has 100% sRGB color gamut. It is 0.2 inch thin and weighs only 2.3lbs.
In addition, Cocopar portable monitor for laptop consists of FreeSync Technology; resulting in tear free and stutter free gaming performance if used for PC gaming. There are blue light filters and contains flicker free elements which is very helpful for hours of use without feeling eye strain. The colors are vivid and are produced with clarity. It is made up of aluminum alloy material, having kickstand with nice stability and rigidness, enables portrait and landscape mode; nicely handles multitasking. Other than that, the dual USB Type C that is fully featured and one HDMI welcomes the connections from your game consoles like PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox One S/X/360, Nintendo Switch and Raspberry Pi etc, and is also good for Mac, Windows, Chrome, linux etc.
Also See: Best Ultrawide gaming monitor
8. Deco Gear – Best portable travel monitor for laptop
015.6 inches FHD touchscreen IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x1, USBx1, HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Works well with laptops, tablets, Macbook, smartphones etc
- Non stop working up to 5 hours on the go
- Travel friendly due to powerful batteries and protective case
- Touch feature with USB Type C connection
- A little bit heavy but not a deal breaker
- Colors are dim
- Not for PC gaming
With dual 5000mah (10,000mah) built in batteries that enable using this external screen up to 5 to 6 hours, this portable monitor for laptop is a nice choice for travellers, businessmens, students or anyone who likes to work on the go. Deco Gear external monitor has joined us this year among the top ten portable monitors which were not there due to being somehow low quality features. However, this model has come so far so good for laptops, PC and smartphones this time. It is a 15.6 inch display screen with 1080p resolution, capable of pushing up to 70hz refresh rate. It has 300cd/m2 brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio, whereas, the color saturation is a bit disappointing. Thus, if your purpose of buying is to do editing video or photos, then this wouldn’t be good for you.
On further inspection, Deco Gear touchscreen portable monitor found out to be very good, specially for Macbooks, It can work great with Macbook Pro, Macbook Air and equally nice for Matebooks, that is, MatebookX, MatebookX Pro, MatebookE. This portable monitor for laptop can also work with any of the brands like HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo and is even better with smartphones like Huawei, Razer, Samsung, Oppo, LG and all those devices that have these ports compatibility. Talking about its portability, it is 0.6 inch thin and is 3.6lbs heavy as compared to others, but the particular reason to nominate this dual screen for travelling is its dual batteries. Another reason is its leather bound protective case, which in case you are not tucking this into your backpack then this case will help you to protect the screen.
9. Uperfect – Best HDR portable monitor
15.6 inches FHD touchscreen IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x2, HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Support QLED Quantum Dot Technology
- Dual speakers
- Touchscreen with finger and pen too (stylus didn’t come along)
- HDR500 support; ideal for outdoor use
- Attractive but not durable
The most significant feature of Uperfect QLED touchscreen portable monitor is its 500cd/m2 high brightness. Working in a daylight with dimly lit screen could be a main cause of lack of optimality, however, this problem has been covered up in this model. It contains an anti-glare non reflective screen with HDR500, so the image is rendered with sharpness and clarity even if you are relaxing in daylight and working on this external screen simultaneously. It is a 1080p monitor with 60hz refresh rate, 3ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 500cd/m2 brightness, 100% sRGB, 100% Adobe RGB and 100% DCI-P3 color gamut. It has a smart touch feature which we found very responsive and precise. With so accurate touch sensitivity and vibrant colors, this external screen for laptop is certainly good for multitasking.
Like inside properties, the outer look is also very appealing. The frameless design and the back with glass coverage make this highly attractive but at the same time seems very delicate and can cause serious damage if by any means got hit or has fallen. It weighs 2.1lbs and is 0.39 inch slim. It comes with a leather protective case, so if you intend to move out and have a cup of coffee nearby, this dual screen with nice brightness could be a great companion for you. It supports portrait and landscape mode but lacks VESA mounting. It is workable with samsung Dex and TNT. Having said about its compatibility, this portable monitor is workable with Mac, Windows, Chrome, linux, iOS & android phones and with game consoles as well.
10. Corprit – Best wireless portable monitor
15.6 inches FHD IPS display | 1920×1080 resolution | 60Hz refresh rate and 12ms response time | Aspect ratio: 16:9 | USB Type C x1, HDMI x1, Audio input/output
- Wireless mirroring
- Good for iPhone, Samsung users
- Extend, duplicate and second screen
- Vesa mountable
- Wireless mode only let you mirror the display of the host device (no extended or second screen mode)
- Speakers are poor
- Not good for PC high end games
Wireless portable monitors are a new concept introduced to meet the more flexible innovative ways to conduct your computing or streaming to another level. Corprit portable monitor for laptop has given this feature for the first time, highly recommended for those who like to share their screens, while watching movies, photos and videos together. It is a great way to present your work, presentations or to let the idea spread that you have a plan to your business partners and colleagues. This 15.6 inch FHD dual screen works wirelessly with Airplay/ Miracast/ DLNA, but this wireless mode is allows only mirroring of the display. It has 250cd/m2 brightness with 1000:1 contrast ratio along with 72% NTSC color gamut.
Since the color saturation is not in an ideal filling, this extended screen is reasonable for sharing the screen purpose, not for a high level of editing or generating portfolios like professionals. Its wireless mode is good for any wireless compatible device, since it has Type C with power and display protocol and an HDMI port, this gives buttery performance to your laptops, PCs, iOS and Android phones. There is no built-in battery, thus for wireless mode with smartphones, the screen has to be connected to the power source, then you can mirror your phones with it. Which means, even though it is wirelessly workable, the power cable has to be there. Whereas, for game consoles, there is no wireless feature. Further, it is covered in a leather case aka kickstand for portrait and landscape mode. Overall, it is a nice feature packed dual screen, can be used for multiple tasks other than PC gaming, note it.
How to pick the best portable monitor for laptop? Buyers Guide
The dual screen for laptop or also known as the secondary display for laptop or PC, are highly important and can’t be ignored if you are a professional worker. It not only increases the outcome of the efforts but provides opportunity to work freely and in a creative way. The loads of work are lessened to a great extent and results in pain free jobs we often are unable to get from thousands of time switching tabs with a single screen setup.
Let’s make the buying process easy as well, just the way these portable external monitors have made our life easy. The following is the checklist you must need to take under consideration.
- The size of the screen matters. The 15.6 inch portable monitor is the most commonly found size of screen which goes with any of the standard size laptop or PC monitors quite fine. But you can go with screens up to 17.3 inch too, if you want to. But the bigger the size the heavier it would become, as a result of this, it becomes less encouraging to carry around easily. Therefore, think wisely before putting your hands on the bigger screen.
- The connectivity or the ports of the monitor defines the compatibility of your device with it. The USB type C and HDMI port is the most safest rule for laptops and PCs. It is also welcoming for Macbooks, Chromebooks, Microsoft Surface, Tablets, smartphones and even game consoles, like, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and raspberry Pi can go with it. However, an OTG port levels up the flexibility of the portable monitor as well. Similarly, an SD card slot could be an addition to the benefits of the screen.
- The durability has to be checked as well. It is simply in terms of the material the portable monitor is made up of. The body made up of Aluminum alloy is much better than a plastic body. If the dual screen is coming in a protective case or leather bound case, it would be a plus point for the safety of the screen. Most of the screens also come with a protector layer and touch resistant coverage, if you come across this feature, it would be great for you.
- For editing videos and photos, for animation, drawing or having graphic work, a 4K portable monitor is recommended, this is also feasible for gaming. Although, if you intend to do streaming, like, watching videos on youtube or playing songs or browsing, or for console gaming, a 1080p portable monitor is enough. Likewise, for presentations, data analysis, working on powerpoint, making charts of reading books, again 1080p external screen is the right option for this.
- For travellers or for those who even feel little scope to go on the road, like a business trip, picnic or camping where a power supply is not in your reach, then a portable monitor with built-in battery is very essential. In the same way must not forget the brightness level, as for outdoor usage, the 500 nits brightness level is sufficient, any lower than this would leave you with dim screen and hard to see the content on the screen in daylight.
Never underestimate the scope and flexibility of the portable monitor, it has the power to deliver the task in the sole position as well. A single connection with the phone can rule out the trouble of lacking a laptop or a PC in various circumstances. Though in the presence of all, it can become your workstation with dual screen to triple screen setup as well. With the aforementioned list for the best portable monitor for laptop, we hope to untangle you from the painful task of picking the right one for your system. Each of these are tested, then enrolled to get into the best picks for the dual screens for your laptops, however, if you feel any struggle to decide, we are not any far to help you.